Students may apply for admission at any time of the year, and may begin their studies at the beginning of any trimester. The following documents must be submitted for application:
- A completed copy of one of the following application forms.
- A letter stating applicant’s personal, educational and professional goals, with reasons for wishing to attend the American Academy of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine.
- Official transcripts from post-secondary institution(s) attended, indicating satisfactory completion of a minimum of two years’ post-secondary education. Students who have completed college or university level education in another country must have their foreign credentials evaluated by AACRAO, the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers. Transcripts need to be evaluated on a course-by-course basis. Complete information is available on the AACRAO website at: www.aacrao.org
- （For Doctorate Applicants）Applicants must hold a Master’s degree or equivalent in Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine from an ACAOM-accredited institution, an ACAOM-candidate institution, or its equivalent. This ensures a minimum standard of academic achievement and clinical background in the field of TCM.Prospective students must demonstrate a cumulative grade point average of no less than 2.5 on a 4.0 scale in their previous academic experience. Applicants who have a GPA below 3.0 or show weak areas in their transcripts will be evaluated carefully, and other factors which show strong motivation, such as a successful practice or participation in professional organizations will be taken into consideration by the Admissions Committee.
- Two letters of recommendation from people who are in a position to evaluate the applicant’s general character, academic abilities, perseverance, and determination to pursue a career in Oriental medicine.
- English is the language of instruction for all classes at AAAOM. An applicant whose native language is not English may be admitted to the program if s/he has previously been accepted as a student at an accredited post-secondary academic institution in the United States and has successfully completed coursework at that institution. Non-native speakers who have not attended a post-secondary academic institution in the United States must submit test results from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) internet-based test (iBT), or the International English Language Testing Service (IELTS) exam. For the TOEFL iBT, AAAOM requires a minimum score of 22 on the reading and listening tests, a minimum score of 26 for the speaking test, and a minimum score of 24 for the writing test. For the IELTS exam, a minimum overall band score of 6 is required. AAAOM will accept TOEFL or IELTS test results taken within the previous two years. AAAOM’s recipient code number to report scores is 0104. TOEFL web site: www.ets.org/toefl
- The application fee as specified by the application form.
In addition to the documents required for admission, as noted above, an interview with a school official and a school tour can be arranged.